A very rough start

After an unexpected round of unforeseen accidents, I missed my initial flight from Yakima to Seattle by just a couple of minutes. What a great way to begin a trip… I quickly decided to take the charter bus to Seattle anyway, hoping to transfer to a different flight schedule. It wasn’t until I was halfway to Seattle that I realized my passport was left at the Yakima Airport. After many rounds of phone tag, I managed to have my passport forwarded to Sea-Tac airport on Horizon Air’s next flight to Seattle (which eventually got delayed to a later departure).

Once I arrived at Sea-Tac Airport, I stormed through a whirlwind of phone calls. I had to get a hold of my travel agents (Orbitz), my airline representatives (Delta), one of my professors at Rome (Lisa, though the call was unsuccessful), the UW Rome Center (left a voice message), and my peers (via text message) that I was going to be on a postponed flight schedule. I was literally on the phone for at least four hours this afternoon, trying to get a hold of multiple parties at once! An international flight representative initially said I had to pay around $2,000 extra to change my schedule on short notice. My jaw dropped, and I was about to lose my sanity… However, I wasn’t willing to accept this option and sought other ways to change my schedule. My persistence finally paid off when I found a more experienced travel agent who changed my schedule WITHOUT having me incur any additional fees. The only consequence would be that I would arrive a day later than expected, at the earliest. I was really depressed to hear this, as I did not want to miss out on anything important that may be covered on the first day abroad. However, I knew the situation could have been worse; I’m glad to have found an alternate route.

I am truly the epitome of Murphy’s Law.

COMMENTS

BLOGGER: 5
  1. Seriously, wow. Nothing in the email about all the troubles, just that you had a delayed flight. I'm not sure how you were able to do all of that with a phone that isn't even fully operational. Always persistent. =] Hopefully the next post will be filled with only positive reflections considering all your bad luck should be out of the way. Have an amazing trip, can't wait for your next post. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the craziness! Hope you are enjoying Rome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww~!! But this just means that things will go up from here right?? :) Can't wait to read more!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats a cheap way to start your break oh well you should able to enjoy the rest of it with no problems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... you must have been tired... in you vid it seemed like you haven't slept... And phone tag doesn't sound that fun anymore... lol.

    ReplyDelete

Name

Aruba,1,Belgium,1,Canada,5,China,2,Conference,11,Costa Rica,10,Education,25,Egypt,1,Ethiopia,1,France,23,Germany,5,Greece,1,India,5,Italy,31,Ivory Coast,1,Maldives,5,Mexico,7,Netherlands,10,Panama,1,Peru,1,Philippines,1,Recent,6,Singapore,1,South Korea,1,Study Abroad,76,Turkey,6,United Arab Emirates,2,United Kingdom,1,Vacation,18,Vatican City,2,
ltr
item
Points & Places: A very rough start
A very rough start
Points & Places
https://bdosono.blogspot.com/2010/06/very-rough-start.html
https://bdosono.blogspot.com/
https://bdosono.blogspot.com/
https://bdosono.blogspot.com/2010/06/very-rough-start.html
true
8680338231085182482
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Read more Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS PREMIUM CONTENT IS LOCKED STEP 1: Share to a social network STEP 2: Click the link on your social network Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy