Who’s the fairest of them all?


I had very little downtime throughout the week because I wanted to attend as many workshops and keynotes to make my stay worthwhile. However, I did have some time to relax in the middle of the week, and I spent it catching up on rest in my hotel room. While flipping through numerous channels, I couldn’t help but notice the complexion of every Indian actor either on a television show, news broadcasting service, or commercial. All of the Indians on screen were fairly white. How could I not notice the subliminal obsession with being light skinned when it seemed that nearly every other television advertisement bombarded me with produced that claimed to “make your skin more fair.” Ugh. No thank you. 

Now this was completely different from my interactions with local Indians on the streets. And I’m referring to the authentic locals with darker skin tones. Usually in America, I’m one of the darkest people in any given room given my rich, brown skin. But in India, it felt different; I was literally one of the lightest colored people in the room. And this was a first for me, yet I felt no more superior than the next guy. I don’t believe we live in a post-racial society. As evident in mainstream Indian magazines and popular culture, people still care about the color of their skin. The true range of Indian skin complexion isn’t represented in their own media, and that’s really quite bothersome.

COMMENTS

Name

Aruba,1,Belgium,1,Canada,5,China,2,Conference,11,Costa Rica,10,Education,25,Egypt,1,Ethiopia,1,France,23,Germany,5,Greece,1,India,5,Italy,31,Ivory Coast,1,Maldives,5,Mexico,7,Netherlands,10,Panama,1,Peru,1,Philippines,1,Recent,6,Singapore,1,South Korea,1,Study Abroad,76,Turkey,6,United Arab Emirates,2,United Kingdom,1,Vacation,18,Vatican City,2,
ltr
item
Points & Places: Who’s the fairest of them all?
Who’s the fairest of them all?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bTyNyxDcEWU/U8JNGrv6dBI/AAAAAAABKo4/ZZpDQZUI08I/s1600/20140607_065731.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bTyNyxDcEWU/U8JNGrv6dBI/AAAAAAABKo4/ZZpDQZUI08I/s72-c/20140607_065731.jpg
Points & Places
https://bdosono.blogspot.com/2014/06/whos-fairest-of-them-all.html
https://bdosono.blogspot.com/
https://bdosono.blogspot.com/
https://bdosono.blogspot.com/2014/06/whos-fairest-of-them-all.html
true
8680338231085182482
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Read more Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS PREMIUM CONTENT IS LOCKED STEP 1: Share to a social network STEP 2: Click the link on your social network Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy