Cross border travel during a pandemic

So much has changed since my last post in 2019, and I wasn’t accounting for a global health crisis to be one of the ways my world turned upside down. But as a researcher who has published on crisis and resilience, I knew that it would only be a matter of time before the travel industry would bounce back to a new state of ordinary. Below are several observations I wanted to share from my recent international trip. 

Bryan and Val visit the Turkish Airlines lounge during their travels to and from Mexico.
Lounge hopping in the Cancun International Airport!

Health and safety protocols

Now that we’re twenty months into the COVID-19 pandemic, travel seemed to pick up again to pre-pandemic activity. Airport lines were bustling and accompanied with hand sanitizer stations, lounges served food on demand with everything wrapped in plastic, and social distancing guidelines seemed to have relaxed from what I observed. I imagine we still have a ways to go for the global adoption of the vaccine. Hopefully, the pandemic provided our infrastructure with the wake-up call it needed to invest more into sanitation and cleanliness.

Attestations of wellness

The resort we were staying at included a testing site that had an efficient process for getting American guests their required results to re-enter America by way of air. I finally took my first COVID-19 test! And let me tell you: nothing woke me up earlier that morning than having a cotton swab poked up my nose. It was way more effective than coffee. I received my results in less than an hour. Unsurprisingly, I tested negative.

Working remotely

One of my favorite aspects of working in tech is the flexibility I have to work anywhere I can with a strong internet connection. I recently made a pandemic pivot from my old employer in the travel space to my new employer in the e-commerce space, and as a user experience researcher, I was still able to conduct iterative usability testing without a hitch. While there are aspects of tech office life I certainly miss (like the catered food, bottomless espressos, and dedicated workspace), the introvert in me doesn’t mind working this way for the foreseeable future.

If there’s anything I learned from 2020, it’s the skill of recalibrating resilience. A silver lining from the chaos has been the innovation I’ve seen the travel industry take in making our journeys more meaningful. In an era where social distancing has been the norm, human connection has never been more critical.


COMMENTS

Name

Aruba,1,Belgium,1,Canada,5,China,2,Conference,11,Costa Rica,10,Education,25,Egypt,1,Ethiopia,1,France,23,Germany,5,Greece,1,India,5,Italy,31,Ivory Coast,1,Maldives,5,Mexico,7,Netherlands,10,Panama,1,Peru,1,Philippines,1,Recent,6,Singapore,1,South Korea,1,Study Abroad,76,Turkey,6,United Arab Emirates,2,United Kingdom,1,Vacation,18,Vatican City,2,
ltr
item
Points & Places: Cross border travel during a pandemic
Cross border travel during a pandemic
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEizi4yHInPwfpsJuTxuDwUNpcQItS42P9cXs-0D9yamXxKlXrQHWiynAG7WMx5W8Tplne07J6nAJjOIKwYnRG4667qMCI0CTy2jEfA-NvvAHAoj5mQdAJcHM_d-zFmsMaW_bpPG3Cg4LpQ/w640-h480/InternationalLoungeHopping.jpeg
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEizi4yHInPwfpsJuTxuDwUNpcQItS42P9cXs-0D9yamXxKlXrQHWiynAG7WMx5W8Tplne07J6nAJjOIKwYnRG4667qMCI0CTy2jEfA-NvvAHAoj5mQdAJcHM_d-zFmsMaW_bpPG3Cg4LpQ/s72-w640-c-h480/InternationalLoungeHopping.jpeg
Points & Places
https://bdosono.blogspot.com/2021/10/cross-border-travel-during-pandemic.html
https://bdosono.blogspot.com/
https://bdosono.blogspot.com/
https://bdosono.blogspot.com/2021/10/cross-border-travel-during-pandemic.html
true
8680338231085182482
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Read more Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS PREMIUM CONTENT IS LOCKED STEP 1: Share to a social network STEP 2: Click the link on your social network Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy